Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Yess I did it...yeay!! .... 3rd attempts

Last Saturday my baking friend,Zarina gave almost 1.5 litre the unused egg whites from Raya cookies making.According to her the egg whites has been aged for almost a week..hurmm...so at first I was thinking to make the Pavlova but then I change to Macarons...tapi dalam hatikan takut juga nak buat kot-kot tak jadi he..he..

So the next day on Sunday afternoon straight away I'm having a macaronathon at my little kitchen...cross my finger and I'm recite "Bismillah" banyak-banyak ...hopefully my macaronathon will have good result....

I'm using Jill Collona recipe and alhamdullilah my macarons turns out the way I've been looking for...yeay!!!
Lemon Mousse Macarons

I'm trying not to stuck my nose at the window oven while it's baking ...I just coudn't help it by wacthing it he..he.....then after 5 minutes I almost jumped out of excitement when I saw that they're all have beutiful feet.....alhamdullilah...


My Macs may be not perfect yet, I still have a lot to learn and experiment but I consider this a milestone in my Macaron journey...dah excited nak cuba macam-macam flavour dan colour variations muahaha...I've to admit that Jill Collona is right once you try to make it you'll be hooked....


Lemon Macarons or Macaron Au Citron
Sourced from : Jill Collona
Ingredients:
150g egg whites (aged at leat 3 or 5 days)
100g castor sugar
180g ground almonds
270g icing sugar
yellow colouring( I used wilton gel colour)

Method:Refer to Kitchen Guardian -my cyber Guru
1. Prepare your baking trays with baking or parchment paper
2. Sift almond flour with icing sugar, set aside...
3. Start beating egg whites at speed 2 on hand mixer until they are bubbly and frothy,then, slowly add in sugar. When all the sugar is gone, turn to medium speed and whip for about 3 minutes.
4. When you have a soft peak thick meringue, turn to high speed and whip the meringue to form stiff peak, dense and glossy meringue....probably for another 4 or 5 minutes.
5. You can add the colour in the meringue and continue beat until the colour blends
6. You can add the almond icing sugar mix into the meringue all together(just the way Jill Collona put in the book)
7. Mix the meringue and almond mix well, to ensure that they are blended. Then, start the macaronner process...ie to get rid of the air trapped in the meringue/batter.
8. Just press the batter against the wall of your bowl until you get a mass that is glossy and flows a ribbon consistency.
9. Pour into a piping bag and pipe the batter, with about an inch gap between them. The batter will spread a bit, not much!
10. Allow to dry until a skin forms...err when you touch the batter it is like touching your skin!
11. Bake at 150C for about 20 minutes....(ni depends on pada oven masing-masing ya....)

Lemon Mousse filling
Ingredients:
3/4 cup heavy cream(I used 1 cup non diary whipping cream)
1/8 cup powder sugar
Juice of 1 fresh lemon
Grated zest of 1 lemon (optional)
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin

Methods:
Sprinkle the gelatin over lemon juice. Let it bloom for about 2-3 minutes. Then, add the heavy cream and beat at high speed until soft peak forms. Add the sugar and lemon zest and beat more until stiff peak forms. Transfer the mousse to a piping bag fit fit a round tip on top. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before use. The mousse will get thicker but still be easy to pipe in the cookies.

No comments: